The Kader Asmal Fellowship for Postgraduate Studies is for South African citizens who want to study at an Irish university. The scholarship is worth €6,000 and can be used towards tuition fees and living expenses.
Full Scholarship to study at an Irish University.
The Kader Asmal Fellowship for Postgraduate Studies is a full scholarship for South African citizens who wish to study at an Irish university. The scholarship is awarded on the basis of academic merit, and covers tuition fees, travel expenses, and accommodation.
The fellowship targets scholars with a high level of academic achievement and is particularly suited for those wishing to pursue Master’s degrees or diplomas in the following fields:
- Environmental Science & Management
- International Relations & Diplomacy (MPA) * Political Science (MPA) * Public Administration
The Kader Asmal Fellowship for Postgraduate Studies is available to any South African citizen who has completed a Master’s degree or an equivalent qualification at an accredited university. The maximum award value is R250 000 per year and includes tuition fees, accommodation, meals and travel allowance.
The Kader Asmal Fellowship can be used in conjunction with the following mutually politically agreeable (MPA) degrees or diplomas:
- Master of Public Administration (MPA) – National University of Ireland Galway
- Master of Science in Development Studies (MSDS) – Institute for International Relations Prague
- Diploma in International Disaster Management (DIDM) – National University of Ireland Maynooth
South African citizens
In order to be eligible, you must be a South African citizen who is registered as a full-time student at an accredited university in South Africa. You will also need to have an above average academic record and good English language skills.
The Kader Asmal Fellowship is worth €20,000 per year for a maximum of three years, subject to eligibility. If you are awarded the Kader Asmal Fellowship, this will cover your tuition fees and accommodation costs each year. It is important to note that the award is not a grant and therefore students are required to pay fees.
Mutually Politically Agreeable (MPA) degree or diploma courses (applicants will be advised of the MPA courses available through the Fellowship competition).
The MPA degree or diploma courses are not available in all Irish universities. Applicants will be advised of the MPA courses available through the Fellowship competition. The following Irish universities have MPA degrees/diplomas:
- University College Dublin (UCD)
- University of Limerick (UL)
Study in Ireland
The Kader Asmal Fellowship for Postgraduate Studies offers you a unique opportunity to take up postgraduate studies at one of Ireland’s prestigious universities. The fellowship is open to all developing countries that have no formal diplomatic relations with Ireland.
Since 2002, over 800 students from Africa, Asia, Central America and the Caribbean have benefited from this programme through which they can study in areas such as law, economics, politics, history and philosophy.
In addition to studying your chosen subject at an Irish university (University College Cork or National University of Ireland Maynooth), you will also choose from a wide range of courses in other disciplines like economics and sociology which are taught at third level institutions across Ireland on behalf of the Irish government under its Erasmus+ programme for higher education mobility grants for students who want to study in Europe but cannot afford it financially
To apply for a Kader Asmal Fellowship for Postgraduate Studies, you will need to complete the following steps:
- Check with your university to find out which department or faculty administers the application process.
- Complete an online application found on this website and submit it by the deadline date listed on our homepage (www.kaderasmalfellowship.ie). The following documents are required as part of this process:
- Completed online application form with all fields completed in full;
- Proof of identity document (passport valid until date of arrival in Ireland);
- Academic transcripts from current degree programme and any other degrees obtained;
- Letter of motivation (maximum 500 words);
- If you are offered a place on one of our study programmes in Ireland, we will contact you directly via email with instructions on how to proceed further with your application(s).
The Kader Asmal Fellowship for Postgraduate Studies is a great opportunity for South Africans to study in Ireland. You can apply for the fellowship if you are eligible and interested in studying a MPA course at an Irish university.