Megatrends Afrika Fellowships in Germany 2022 [€2,800 Monthly Grant]
Call for Applications for Megatrends Afrika Fellowships 2022 is currently open. African researchers in eligible fields are invited to apply for a fully funded fellowship opportunity in Germany with a € 2,800 monthly grant.
“Megatrends Afrika: Implications and Options for German and International Policy”, a new research and advisory project in cooperation between the German Institute for International and Security Affairs (SWP) in Berlin, the German Development Institute / Deutsches Institut für Entwicklungspolitik (DIE) in Bonn and the Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW), is awarding three (3) fellowships to post-doctoral researchers from African countries working on Africa-related issues (PhD completion in 2017 or later).
Fellowship Sponsor(s): Megatrends Afrika
Host Institution(s): Selected Institutes in Germany
Fellowship Worth: € 2,800 monthly grants (plus other benefits)
Number of Awards: Several
Study Level: Postdoctoral
Eligibility Criteria | Megatrends Afrika Fellowships 2022
The fellowships are open to post-doctoral researchers from African countries working on Africa-related issues (PhD completion in 2017 or later). Selection will be based on the research proposals submitted by the applicants. We are in particular interested in research proposals on the following topics
Conflicts, Statehood, and Actors of Violence in Africa:
- The relationship between climate change and/or resource management and conflict
- The changing nature of armed conflict, incl. new technologies and influence operations; remote warfare and warfare in urban settings; developments in security sector assistance/ reform
- The effectiveness of regional ad hoc coalitions or organizations in conflict management
Megatrends and Political Authority in Africa:
- The relationship between digitalization, political participation and democracy/ autocracy
- The reshaping of politics through demographic change, and youth movements
- The impact of urban and increasingly digital middle classes on economies and politics
- The relation between climate change or migration and political authority
External Actors and their Influence on Politics, Societies and Economies in Africa
- African perspectives on China’s economic engagement
- External actors in Africa such as India, Russia, Turkey, or the UAE
Fellowships will be granted for a period of up to three (3) months between September 1st and December 31st 2022. For the duration of the fellowship, fellows are expected to reside in the city of the respective institute in Berlin, Bonn or Kiel. Fellows will receive a monthly grant of € 2,800 as well as an economy fare return trip between the fellow’s place of residence and Germany.
How-to-Apply: All applications must be submitted as a single PDF document and must contain the following documents in English:
- A cover letter (one page);
- A CV incl. a list of academic publications; and a sample of 2 pieces of recently published research papers;
- Copies of relevant academic transcripts and/or diplomas (no translations needed);
- A written concept note containing the description of the applicant’s project (not to exceed two (2) pages or 1000 words);
- This concept note must include:
- A discussion of the project/research topic, relevant project objectives and an explanation of the academic and policy relevance of the project;
- An overview of the theoretical and methodological approaches the fellow seeks to apply.
Application Deadline: 22 June 2022